‘THE KNOT’ Told you to ask these questions- And I answered them!
SO BEFORE WE GET INTO ALL OF THESE QUESTION…
here’s a little tiny bit about me!
My name is Kayli and I am an intimate wedding and elopement photographer for fun loving, adventurous couples! I love to get personal and goof off with my couples while giving them amazing photos to cherish forever.
Now on to your questions…
1. How far in advance do we need to book? Most weddings are booked 8 to 12 months in advance and I do not book further out than 15 months.
2. Are you the photographer who will shoot our wedding? If not, who will? Yes! I do not have any associate photographers.
3. How long have you been shooting weddings? How many have you shot? To me, this doesn’t TRULY matter. Let me explain, some people progress way faster than others. Some photographers who have shot 200+ weddings still look like they are in their first couple years of experience while a photographer who mastered their skill in only a year may have only shot 20 weddings. One way to tell is to see a recent full wedding gallery or two to see how their quality holds up throughout the day. To answer the question about my personal experience: I’ve been photographing weddings since 2014 and have photographed over 40 different and unique wedding days (as of the end of 2019.)
4. Have you shot at our venue before? If not, would you do a site visit before the big day?
This is really really not a huge deal unless you are having a lot more ‘moving parts’ than a regular wedding day. And in this case, it could be a good idea to have a walk through with the planner/coordinator. Otherwise, I normally scope out the venue online and will get a super quick but efficient overview of where things are happening the day of with the coordinator. It is also usually pretty obvious where events are taking place in most venues- so do not fret about this! It isn’t a bad idea though if you are wanting to see a wedding gallery from the photographer at your venue. But keep in mind it could be an older wedding and their work could have drastically changed and improved since then!
5. Can we see a full wedding you’ve shot?
Heck to the yes!! Just ask and I would be more than happy to send you one or two over (:
6. Can we have a list of references to contact?
I really like to try to avoid this because I don’t like bothering my past clients. Especially if every potential client asks this- that’s a lot to request from my past brides. It feels like I’m asking clients that I serve to do extra work for me.
7. How would you describe your photography style? I like to describe my photographing style as intimate and fun, and my editing style as romantic and a little bit moody- keeping warmth and colors in my photos.
8. What about your working style? My working style is definitely a mix- I like to blend in during getting ready and big moments but like to direct for portraits. By directing, I am talking about giving directions or guidance but not completely controlling every aspect of the photos. This is also viewed as capturing candid moments.
9. What separates you from all the other photographers? This is easy- my personality and style! Your photographer’s personality plays a HUGE part in your experience with them. I love to goof off with my couples, but also get them romantic and cuddly. I also don’t follow either of the big main styles out there right now (bright & airy and dark & moody.) I want your photographs to look like pieces of art you can display across your home forever.
10. Do you shoot digital, film, or both? Digital only.
12. What type of equipment do you use? What backup equipment will you have? I shoot with Canon and Sony equipment. And yes, I have backup equipment!
13. Will you follow a “must have” shot list, or do you prefer to have full creative control?
I do accept small must have shot lists (like a pose you are dying to have with your boo on your wedding day), but I cannot promise all of the photos will get captured because every wedding is so different and so are the photo possibilities.
14. What’s your favorite part of the wedding day?
The newlywed portraits of course!
15. How many pictures will you take?
As many as I need to get the perfect shots- making sure everyone looks good and the lighting is correct.
16. How will you and your team be dressed on the day?
If you don’t need us wearing specific colors or dressed to a certain formalness, we will wear neutral colors in comfortable but nice looking attire (ie. a black and white jumpsuit, grey top with black pants, navy dress.)
17. How many weddings do you photograph in one weekend?
Usually only 1. No more than 2.
18. Will you have any assistants or additional shooters?
Most of my packages include a second shooter! If you want to add one or another additional shoot, we can do that!
19. How will you coordinate with the videographer? We usually talk about how we are going to approach each part of the day to be sure we stay out of each other’s ways while both getting everything we need! During portraits, I also always make sure to allow the videographer to get their shot before moving on to the next prompt/direction/location. I want your wedding video to turn out just as amazing as the photos I’m capturing for you!
20. What packages do you offer? If you haven’t yet inquired, shoot me your wedding details on my contact page and I will send you my pricing guide!
21. Do you photograph engagement sessions? Is this included in your packages, or what is the a la carte fee? Most of my packages include a complimentary engagement session! The price of this separate is also in my pricing guide that I send to inquiries.
22. Are there any hidden fees? There are no hidden fees, but don’t forget that we are required by law to charge sales tax! (And to pay it to the government) This will visually appear on your invoice/contract form.
23. Is my venue within your area, or will you charge a travel fee? Travel fees apply to locations over 35 minutes away from me, at the national travel rate. If your wedding is further than a couple hours away, additional travel fees such as accommodations may apply.
24. How many images will we receive? Do we get to select the ones we want? You will get 500-800 photos in your gallery for an 8 hour wedding with a second shooter.
25. Can we receive all images, and is there a fee for that? As I say in my pricing guide:
No way Jose! RAW images are like raw chicken, just like you aren’t supposed to eat uncooked chicken, raw images are not meant to be delivered. The file type is literally ‘designed’ to be as plain as possible on the surface (and hold all the color/lighting details under the surface) so that I have more flexibility when editing and retouching your photos. Trust me, when I’m done with them they are gonna look BOMB. (Plus, you can only open them with pro photo editing software.)
26. How long after the wedding can we expect to receive our images? 4-6 weeks, but I complete and deliver them as quickly as I can.
27. How will we receive our photos?
You will receive an email from me linking you to your online gallery that is downloadable straight from there.
29. Do you offer retouching or corrective services? What are the fees?
I gently retouch every delivered photo. For further corrections, fees will apply depending on the request.
30. What type of albums do you offer? Can we see a sample?
Of course you can see a sample! I provide Premium Lay Flat Albums as well as regular quality Lay Flat Albums in sizes 8×8, 10×10, and 11×11.
31. What other products do you offer, if any?
I offer wall prints, canvas, metal prints, display & gift boxes, etc.
32. How do we order photos, albums, or other products?
You will have a print release but you can order all of your professional level prints and products through me! We will discuss what you want and then I will send you a digital invoice and place the order through my professional labs.
33. Will I receive a written contract?
34. What is the required retainer? When is it due?
I require $800 of the package due to book/hold your date along with the signed contract.
35. What forms of payment do you accept? Card or cash.
36. Do you offer a payment plan? When needed we can discuss options.
37. What is your refund and cancellation policy? This is all covered in our contract. But of course, the retainer is nonrefundable due to me putting in hours of behind the scenes work & planning while also turning down other couples and opportunities on your wedding day.
38. What happens if you’re unavailable on my wedding day? This is also covered in our contract, but simply put it is my responsibility to find a replacement.
39. How many hours of coverage will we get? Depends on your package/what you book!
40. Do you allow others to take photos while you’re shooting? No- It never fails when someone else (amateur or not) is taking photos that they will somehow get in the way or distract those in the photos.
41. Will you post our images on social media or submit them for publication? Unless you request otherwise, I will likely be sharing your photos on social media!
42. Can we post our images on social media or submit them for publication? You can of course share you images on social media! But be sure to request my permission before submitting for publication as the copyrights still belong to me as the creator of the images.
43. Do you have liability insurance? Yes!
I AM ALWAYS OPEN FOR QUESTIONS IF YOU DIDN’T SEE YOURS HERE!
Be the first to comment